Important Update on Graduate Student Printing

YUGSA, York University Libraries and FGS reached an agreement in 2014 to phase out graduate student printing allotments by the end of 2016-17. Since then York University has been working toward the phasing out of printing allowances. Provost Philipps and University Librarian Kirchner have confirmed that the last printing allowance was allocated to all eligible graduate students in 2016-17.

Consequences for Graduate Students

Last year the amount for Masters students was reduced to $150, representing the last printing allowance allocated to eligible graduate students in 2016-17. In other words, no new allotments will be received  in 2017/18 or in other future years.

Can I Carry Forward My Balance?

YES. Any registered students who have unused printing allotments (i.e. balances from 2016/17 that they haven’t used yet) will be allowed to carry these over to be used during the 2017/18 academic year.

Is Anyone Eligible For Printing Cost Coverage?

Students with disabilities who meet the eligibility requirements of the Ontario Student Assistance Plan (OSAP) are eligible for the Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD). Disability Services (DS) can approve funds from the BSWD to cover the cost of printing services as a disability-related educational expense under the BSWD guidelines. Students should discuss this and any other disability-related needs with their assigned Disabilities Counsellor.

Students who do not meet the OSAP eligibility requirements are correspondingly ineligible for BSWD funding. These students are encouraged to obtain a letter from Disability Services that confirms they require access to print copies of academic material as an academic accommodation. This letter may be submitted by the student to the Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS). Upon receipt of the letter, FGS will act on the student’s behalf to secure funds to cover the cost of the printing.

Graduate students with disabilities who require access to print copies of material related to their employment at York University, or who have other employment-related accommodation needs, should consult with the Health, Safety and Employee Well-Being Office.

Students with accessibility needs (including grad students) can use the printer in the Adaptive Equipment Lab, Room 134 in Scott Library.


Please get in touch with Disability Services at or reach out to the Bronfman Business Library.

2017-10-13T15:18:56+00:00 September 10th, 2017|Categories: Academics, Community|Tags: , |

Leave A Comment