Reminder: Graduate Student Printing

YUGSA, York University Libraries and FGS reached an agreement in 2014 to phase out graduate student printing allotments by the end of 2016-17.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. There are no printing allowances for graduate students this year.

Last year the amount for Masters students was reduced to $150 as part of the phasing out process. This was the last printing allowance allocated to eligible graduate students in 2016-17. No new allotments exist for the 2017- 2018 academic year, or in future years.

2. You can still use your carried-over balance from last year.

Any registered students who have unused printing allotments (balances from 2016/17 that they haven’t used yet) will be allowed to carry these over to be used during the 2017/18 academic year. Make sure you use these by the end of the current academic year!

3. Students with disabilities may be eligible for some printing allowances.

Students with disabilities who meet the eligibility requirements of the Ontario Student Assistance Plan (OSAP) are eligible for the Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD). Disability Services (DS) can approve funds from the BSWD to cover the cost of printing services as a disability-related educational expense under these guidelines. Students should discuss this and any other disability-related needs with their assigned Disabilities Counsellor.

Students who do not meet the OSAP eligibility requirements are correspondingly ineligible for BSWD funding. These students are encouraged to obtain a letter from Disability Services that confirms they require access to print copies of academic material as an academic accommodation. This letter may be submitted by the student to the Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS). Upon receipt of the letter, FGS will act on the student’s behalf to secure funds to cover the cost of the printing.

Graduate students with disabilities who require access to print copies of material related to their employment at York University, or who have other employment-related accommodation needs, should consult with the Health, Safety and Employee Well-Being Office.

Students with accessibility needs (including grad students) can use the printer in the Adaptive Equipment Lab, Room 134 in Scott Library.


Please get in touch with Disability Services at or reach out to the Bronfman Business Library.

2017-10-13T15:15:57+00:00 October 12th, 2017|Categories: Academics, Community|Tags: , , |

Leave A Comment