We hope you’re keeping well and continuing to adjust to your remote learning environment. Here are some reminders about enrolment and accommodations:
As per the announcement from Provost Lisa Philipps on March 16th, York University has cancelled all in-person exams during the formal winter exam period of April 13-19, 2020. Your instructors will provide details regarding the remote format and timelines for any final exams.
- Exam Deferrals: students who need to defer their final exam due to illness will need to notify their instructor within 24 hours of the missed exam and complete the Deferred Standing Request Form found in the Academic Forms Database within 48 hours of the missed exam. Until further notice, Attending Physician Statements will not be required.
Accommodations as a response to COVID-19
- The drop deadline for Winter 2020 (W2 and N Term) courses has been extended to May 9. Students will be able to drop courses online. The Registrar’s Office is working to enable this feature for students and you will be notified once the enrolment system has been updated. The course(s) will be removed from your transcript. Remember to carefully consider the impact to the completion of your degree if you drop course(s).
- An announcement was sent by York regarding the extension of the pass/fail deadline for courses. Note that only courses that are eligible for pass/fail fall under this extension. Schulich does not allow pass/fail for any of their courses (excluding courses taken on exchange).
- Remember: Academic advising is available remotely! You can book a 1-1 appointment with an advisor and speak with them by phone or Skype/Zoom.
- The deadline for students to switch from full-time to part-time (or vice versa) for Summer 2020 is May 1. Complete an Enrolment Status Change form by the deadline.
- Looking for alternative ways to complete courses this Summer?
- Consider an individual study. Work with a supervisor to conduct research on a topic that sparks your curiosity. Need help finding a faculty member? Visit http://schulich.yorku.ca/faculty/ and search faculty members by their expertise. To seal the deal, submit a Master’s Level Individual Study Form.
- Want to take a course at another Ontario business school? Students can take a maximum of 6.00 credits towards their degree as an Ontario Visiting Graduate Student (OVGS). This will allow you to take business electives at another institution while paying your regular tuition fees to Schulich. To be eligible for OVGS, you will need to complete the Ontario Visiting Graduate Student Form.
- You may want to take a non-business course that will complement your area of focus. Students can take a maximum of 6.00 credits with another graduate program at York. Complete a Request to Take a Course in another Graduate Program at York Form.
- All forms can be found in your Academic Forms Database. Note that OVGS can take 4-6 weeks to process. While the team in Student & Enrolment Services continues to work remotely, we will continue to accept these forms by email at email@example.com including email confirmations from instructors.
Update on Convocation
As noted in the President Rhonda Lenton’s recent message to students, the June convocation ceremony will not be taking place in person:
“Unfortunately, it will not be possible for the spring ceremonies to go forward as planned, but our team is working on developing a virtual option. While not a replacement, we want to find a meaningful way to celebrate your academic achievements. We are also planning on expanding our Fall 2020 ceremony should you wish to attend in person at that time. Once we have worked out the details, we will send further information to our graduating class as soon as possible.”
Please stay tuned for further details as they become available. Take care!