What is SIN:

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9-digit number issued by Service Canada, a Canadian government department. You will need a SIN to work, to file taxes, as well as access government programs and benefits, if eligible. International students can only get the SIN after you’ve arrived in Canada.

How to get the SIN:

To help international students at Schulich get the SIN, International Relations team will organize the SIN clinic. Please find details below:

Date: May 2nd

Time: 9 am to 2:30 pm.

Location: W137 & W138

Registration is required. Please register here to secure your space.

Documents you will need to bring with you to the clinic include:

  • Your study permit (or work permit) AND
  • Your passport

Students who apply for the SIN at our SIN clinic will receive the SIN during your visit. Your SIN will usually have the same expiry date as your study or work permit. If you apply for a new study or work permit before your current document becomes invalid, you can continue to use the same SIN while you are waiting for your permit to be issued. SIN can be extended after you get your new study permit/work permit. To extend your SIN, follow the same steps as applying for a new SIN number.

Protect your SIN:

Your SIN is confidential so should not be shared—be sure to protect your SIN. The most common use of your SIN is to work in Canada after being hired.